Frequently Asked Questions
We understand that getting started in digital publishing can seem daunting and there are lots of new things to learn. To help you get started, here are some of the most frequently asked questions asked about App Studio.
- Why should I turn my print content into a tablet publication?
- Why not just create a PDF-style publication for tablets?
- What is App Studio?
- How do I create my content for App Studio?
- How do I create my apps in App Studio?
- How is the interactivity developed?
- How much time will it take my designers to create an interactive publication?
- Why not just generate a PDF file?
- Aren’t native apps better than HTML5-based ones?
- Why HTML5? There is a lot of hype, but with limited adoption so far, is it safe to bank on it?
- Why does App Studio use HTML5 for content?
- Do I need to use a new content management or workflow system?
- Can I only create iPad publications?
- How do I actually sell my publications?
- Can I create internal apps that are only visible to employees, partners or specific customers?
- How do advertisers make interactive ads?
- Who is behind App Studio?
1. Why should I turn my print content into a tablet publication?
According to Forrester, it’s estimated that by 2016 there will be one billion consumers with tablets or smartphones. What’s more, tablet and smartphone users are spending an increasing number of hours per week on those devices, which means less time spent reading traditional media.
If you’re a publisher, digital publications can drive increased readership by addressing new demographic and geographic markets, and increased revenue from premium interactive advertising. For corporates, a tablet app can lead to new customer engagement and loyalty. Many organizations are now using tablets for their field staff who need access to real-time information on-the-go.
2. Why not just create a PDF-style publication for tablets?
The PDF-style approach (big, flat, static pages where text is really an image) has disadvantages that seriously limit the potential success of your app:
- The user experience lacks interactivity and so is boring
- The file sizes can be massive (up to 5x bigger than an App Studio file)
- The custom app setup is expensive to build and maintain
- You will spend a lot more to get a lot less
3. What is App Studio?
App Studio is software that enables you to use layout software you already know (such as QuarkXPress and InDesign) to transform print content into engaging, interactive tablet experiences.
When publishing with App Studio, you get a branded tablet or smartphone app where you can sell new issues, back issues and subscriptions — and each issue is not just fully interactive, it’s immersive.
4. How do I create my content for App Studio?
You can create content using QuarkXPress and InDesign, directly in HTML5, or from XML.
5. How do I create my apps in App Studio?
You create apps online using the App Studio Publishing Portal.
6. How is the interactivity developed?
Your designers create it using the same software they use for your print products. You may not have known that tools like QuarkXPress and InDesign have so many interactive capabilities, but they do.
The interactivity can include slideshows, video, audio, animation, 360º photography, scroll zones, cross-linking, swiping, pinching, zooming and more.
7. How much time will it take my designers to create an interactive publication?
About 25-30% of the time it takes them to create the print edition (remember, they’re using all the same assets and tools).
8. Why not just generate a PDF file?
App Studio uses HTML5, the next-generation web language supported by everybody. We combine the stunning interactive features supported in HTML5 with the cool, native features available on the various tablet platforms to deliver an immersive tablet experience.
9. Aren’t native apps better than HTML5-based ones?
App Studio creates hybrid apps. This means we use a combination of native code for each platform e.g. iOS, and combine it with HTML5 giving users the best of both worlds.
10. Why HTML5? There is a lot of hype, but with limited adoption so far, is it safe to bank on it?
The digital publishing landscape is fragmented across devices and platforms, and that fragmentation shows no signs of decreasing. That, combined with increasing customer expectations, has created a need for organizations to improve how and when they reach their audiences. Only HTML5 allows for the creation of content that can easily be reused and transformed for each intended device or format, which speeds delivery.
11. Why does App Studio use HTML5 for content?
Portability: Every modern mobile platform supports a web browser view. Using HTML5 ensures App Studio can support new platforms faster than solutions that use proprietary formats for content.
Interactivity: Within HTML5 every element can be manipulated or transitioned making the options for a compelling user experience nearly limitless. For example, items can be animated, moved, flipped etc. This contrasts with proprietary layout formats, that constrain what can and cannot be interactive as distinct objects overlaid on each other.
Efficiency: Representing content using HTML5 is extremely efficient, especially compared to rasterizing text as images. Such efficiency means a much smaller file size.
Future proof: Our clients are not locked into a proprietary format.
12. Do I need to use a new content management or workflow system?
No, you can continue to use your current systems.
13. Can I only create iPad publications?
No, App Studio supports a variety of platforms and devices including iPhone, iPad, iPad mini, Kindle Fire, Android Tablets and more.
14. How do I actually sell my publications?
You sell new issues, back issues and subscriptions through the commerce store native to each tablet or smartphone platform, such as the Apple App Store, Google Play and the Amazon Appstore for Android.
15. Can I create internal apps that are only visible to employees, partners or specific customers?
Yes, it's possible to create enterprise apps that you can host within your company network.
16. How do advertisers make interactive ads?
They can use the tools they already know such as QuarkXPress and InDesign to create interactive ads or even create ads directly in HTML5. Plus, the App Studio Publishing Portal is built for collaboration so you can set up your advertisers and agencies to upload their ads directly into your App Studio publication for your approval and inclusion into your digital publications.
17. Who is behind App Studio?
App Studio is developed by Quark, a software company with more than 30-years experience delivering innovative solutions to millions of customers worldwide. App Studio was built on the technology and experience gained from developing pioneering mobile solutions including the BBC iPhone app and for award-winning mobile sites and apps for media companies like Channel 4, The Times, The Guardian, Maxim and others.